Vision is one of our greatest challenges here in the West. We think too small, and act accordingly. Our dreams are limited by what we believe we can accomplish. This post is the second part of a vision statement put out by an apostle from Asia who is constantly seeing things that amaze us. You can read the first part of his statement here.
Among all the issues and challenges, lack of vision is the greatest weakness. With all our small thinking, hiccups, resource crunch and other failures and hang-ups, is making 10 million new connections doable in three years? Just by mobilizing your disciples to catch one person per month and training them to do the same, can your disciples add 10 million to the Body of Christ in 3 years? Can we agree to this target for 2012-15?!!
Is it possible to reach the whole world and bring them to faith in the Lord Jesus in this generation – the answer must be ‘Yes!’ Simply by being obedient to two of the commands of the Lord Jesus – Follow Me and Make Disciples!!
What will it take for you to start this chain reaction and for it to go viral?
- Debunk all existing myths surrounding the traditional church, even the house churches that are not multiplying. Go for the flexible “Third Place Discipling Church” that happens wherever you spend 8 hours of the day. That way no one will have the excuse of being too busy. Focus on small group discipling as worship rather than on large group gathering and singing as worship.
- Filter out all those who have excuses. Don’t waste time on them but invest time and resources only on those who are willing to invest their own time and resources. Most of the resources are in the harvest field. Regional training and apostolic visits are the only times you may need external resources.
- Opening of e-gates. Use mobile phones and the Internet which are now ubiquitous (five billion mobile phones in circulation worldwide; companies are planning to add another billion customers in 2012). Provide facilities for downloading Bibles in their language, God story and Christian music (Great Commission songs ). Send SMS to non-believers instead of sending wonderful gospel messages to well meaning but non-performing Christians. Use mobile phones not just for voice communication but for multi-tasking. Can be used for discipling, providing privacy and safety to both the mentor and the mentee.
- Focus on young people. All the disciples of Jesus and Paul were young people.
- Focus on women as they are relational and have access to closed doors in restricted communities.
- Focus on the supernatural rather than on a cognitive, academic, intellectual approach.
- Focus on “Church Planting Movement Planters (CPMPs)” rather than on evangelism.
- Focus on discipling rather than on preaching, where Christ has not been named.
- Focus on rapidity (instant baptism) rather than on stability (the same people gathering every Sunday).
- Be intentional in sparking a CPM (Church Planting Movement) but it must end out of human control. spontaneity (Holy Spirit driven).
- Focus on developing local leadership and passing the baton to them, but keep the connexion.
- Periodically monitor to see that the goals are being achieved and if necessary, do a course correction.
- Measure your success not by buildings, bodies and budgets, not even by the missionary force on the field or graduates coming out of your Bible schools. Instead measure it by disciples made, baptized, equipped, sent, People Groups reached and territories possessed….until the kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdom of our Lord and his Christ.