I love the body of Christ in all its different forms. The traditional church has served us well for centuries while society revolved around Christianity. But things are changing.
Is Christianity in crisis in this country? The following statistics concerning pastors are not meant to be a criticism of the traditional church, but they are worrying.
- Fifteen hundred pastors in the US quit every month due to stress, extra-marital affairs or conflict in their churches.
- Over fifty percent of pastors are so discouraged they would leave the ministry if they could but have no other way of making a living.
- Fifty percent of pastors’ marriages will end in divorce.
- Almost forty percent say they have been in an extra-marital affair since entering the ministry.
- Seventy percent say they only study the Bible when preparing for sermons or lessons.
- Seventy percent say they do not have close personal friends.
Whatever kind of church we are part of, let’s pray for our brothers and sisters in “full time ministry.”
The question remains. Is Christianity in the West in crisis?