One of the main challenges those in full-time ministry face if they sense Jesus leading them into simple/organic/house church is the question, "How will I support my family?"
Here are some of the financial ways the Lord is using as He leads people out of professional ministry into a simpler form of church that doesn't rely on their qualifications.
- The Lord leads people into a secular job using all the skills they developed in full time ministry. We will explore some of these in a future post.
- The Lord leads people into a job that merely pays the bills. The Lord often uses the frustration of this kind of existence as His training for leadership in the Kingdom.
- The Lord gives you the idea for a business. This is what He did for us. After a few short years, we have a great team within the business, leaving us free to do whatever the Lord asks of us.
- Some raise personal support, much like a foreign missionary would.
- The Lord leads some networks of house churches to support one of their leaders financially, especially if they travel extensively.
- Some continue to be supported by a denomination or other Christian organization.
- Some are supported by their spouse.
As a movement, we are as yet immature in the area of finances. Although our own journey makes us value highly work within a secular environment, we need more people full-time within the Kingdom–apostles and prophets with experience who will travel and train others.