What does it look like to be a good neighbor?
Some of the last posts have been on the topic of a simple/organic/house church response to disaster. Are we ready?
The parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10 speaks into what disaster relief might look like. Jesus was asked the question, "Who is my neighbor?" The answer becomes obvious through the parable. However, there is more to learn:
- The person the Samaritan helped was a stranger
- The man was in crisis–he had just been robbed and beaten
- The Samaritan helped those that others ignored
- He provided medicine (oil and wine and bandages)
- He took care of his physical needs for shelter and food
- He helped financially
Helping strangers who are in crisis often opens the door to providing spiritual help too.
How can we be more involved?